The mission of the physical education program at ASA is to provide quality instruction so that each student can develop the motor skills that will serve as the foundation for an active lifestyle. The physical education program will be a sequential program that will develop the student’s skills and fitness levels. We also believe that participation in physical education provides an opportunity for the continuous development of each individual's physical, mental, social, and emotional capabilities in order to promote a healthy lifestyle. In addition, our program will foster a variety of life skills such as respect, personal responsibility, positive work ethic, teamwork, and perseverance. These skills will be developed through a variety of team and individual activities.
Physical Education Program
The P.E. program is based on the goal of developing in students the strength, skills, knowledge, and stamina to participate in sports and fitness activities, both now and throughout life.
At the youngest levels, students in grades K4 - 1 work on developing the motor skills and strength for basic muscular movements such as hopping, skipping, and running while following instructions. In grades 2-3, the focus shifts to putting together sets of physical movements and following game rules, with fair play being emphasized. This continues into grades 4-5, along with beginning to work as a team toward a goal. The objective is that by the end of grade 5, students will:
• Demonstrate competence in fundamental motor skills
• Use basic taught movements and concepts in a variety of activities such as dance, gymnastics, and team sports in a mature manner
• Realize an acceptance of self and others in physical activity (teamwork)
• Identify the benefits of a physically active lifestyle.
Middle School Program
The objective is that by the end of grade 8, students will: demonstrate competency in motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities, demonstrate an understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics as they apply to the learning and performance of physical activities., have an increasing awareness of the opportunities for participation in a broad range of activities that will meet their needs and interests as it applies to their overall physical fitness and health.
High School Program
The objective is that by the end of grade 12, high school students will:
• Participate regularly in physical activity.
• Have an increasing awareness of the opportunities for participation in a broad range of activities that may meet their needs and interests.
• Value physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction.
• Seek physical activity experiences for group membership and positive social interaction
• Recognize and appreciate skilled performance
• Recognize that physical activities provide a positive outlet for competition with peers and a means of gaining the respect and recognition of others
• Recognize that physical activities can increase self-confidence and self-esteem as students discover renewed enjoyment of participation
• Recognize that physical activities can provide confidence as students start to take steps toward independence
• Learn the importance of maintaining a life-long healthy lifestyle through regular physical activity.