Summer Boost 2016
Again this year we will be offering our children at ASA the Summer Boost program. Due to our long break mid-school year (December, January, and February), we know that many of our children are only exposed to their native language during these vacation months. That is why the Summer Boost was so well-received the past two years and why we are continuing a third year. The program is designed as follows:
- The grade level groupings will be 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th, 5th/6th.
- The classes will run from Monday, Feb. 1st to Wednesday, Feb. 10th, 2016. The schedule will be from 8:00-11:30.
- The class size limit will be 18 students (9 from each grade level). With small classes, the emphasis will be on flexible group and individual support to build/review/emphasize basic skills.
- Students will receive instruction in English, Spanish and Math.
- In early November, teachers will select 9 students total from each grade level who they think would benefit most from this program. They will also select a few names for a waiting list, in case any of the invited students cannot attend. Letters will go out inviting students to Summer Boost 2016.
- Teachers (all from the ASA ES staff) will create the curriculum based on the needs of the students after meeting with classroom teachers. Several Service Learning students from ASA’s Senior Class will be providing additional support and facilitating fun snack break activities.
- Each class will have a short break for snack and recess and will have opportunities to work in the computer lab.
- All normal ASA regulations and expectations apply.
- The total cost for families is US $150 for 8 half-day sessions.
It is highly recommended, but not mandatory, for a student who has been referred to attend. Any questions regarding Summer Boost 2016 should be directed to the ES Office.