SOCIAL STUDIES PHILOSOPHY STATEMENT
Following the National Council of Teachers of Social Studies and the AERO Standards, ASA’s Social Studies program presents students with all elements of Social Studies and through it develops the students’ use of research and analysis. We believe that central to this process is the making of critical thinkers and responsible citizens. Students must develop an understanding of historical perspective and the behavior of individuals and societies. These objectives are best realized when students are asked to make connections among historical events, contemporary issues, and social science theory. Students will be asked to demonstrate such understanding through examination of and reference to evidence.
Social Studies Essential Agreements
- We will review NCTSS and AERO standards to check alignment once a year.
- Students will complete at least one cumulative project to demonstrate understanding of the course material.
- Students will write a summative, piece of writing, which will be prepared and evaluated using the 6+1 writing process at least once per semester.
- Students will conduct research once per semester using both primary and/or secondary sources.
- Students will develop social science research skills, including the appropriate use of technology in research.
- Students will continually develop critical thinking skills through observation, analysis, and argumentation.
- Students will give an oral presentation at least once per academic year.