Physical Education Philosophy Statement
The mission of the physical education program at ASA is to provide quality instruction so that each student can develop the motor skills that will serve as the foundation for an active lifestyle. The physical education program will be a sequential program that will develop the student’s skills and fitness levels. We also believe that participation in physical education provides an opportunity for continuous development for each individual's physical, mental, social and emotional capabilities in order to promote a healthy lifestyle. In addition our program will foster a variety of life skills such as respect, personal responsibility, positive work ethic, team work, and perseverance. These skills will be developed through a variety of team and individual activities.
Physical Education Essential Agreements
- The PE Department will review the NASPE Standards and check alignment with them at the beginning of each
- The teacher will provide a model for each skill as it is taught and the students will be given opportunities to practice these skills in an authentic setting.
- The teacher will provide competitive, cooperative and/or creative activities in every unit.
- All eligible students will participate in age-appropriate fitness testing at least one time per semester.
- The teacher will administer age-appropriate skill assessments and/or cognitive assessments for each unit. These may include teacher rubrics, self-assessment, or peer assessment.
- The teacher will provide alternative or differentiated instruction and/or activities during each unit so that all students have equal opportunity to succeed.