Music Department Philosophy
The music department at the American School of Asuncion challenges students to acquire and establish individual abilities through music study and performance. In ASA’s music classes, students will develop the ability to express themselves, with an appreciation for the arts, through musical study and performance. By participating in ASA’s music program students will develop the following qualities that will enhance their academic performance, social skills, and self-esteem, enabling them to succeed in their lifelong endeavors:
· Problem Solving
· Emotional Expression
- We will review the AERO Standards at the beginning of each year to check our alignment with the standards and any updates.
- Most classes will begin with scales or other form of warm-up in secondary.
- Students will have an opportunity in class to perform in large and small ensembles, groups or individually, and outside of class.
- Students will perform notated music by singing and/or performing on an instrument at least once a week in class (grades 3 & up).
- In class students will be exposed to some form of music technology.
- Students will be evaluated in each class through written, oral, aural, and/or performance assessments in secondary.
- In class, students will be taught through lecture, demonstration, and application, the skills necessary to be successful in musical performances inside and outside of the classroom.
- Through lecture, demonstration, and performance, multiculturalism will be integrated in music classes.
- Students will be provided sheet music to perform in and out of the classroom in order to develop musical literacy (grades 3 & up).
- Students will be provided with opportunities to work with the teacher on an individual basis at their personal music level.